I was doing a standard PCI scan from one of the CC vendors. The scan results came back with a port that was open on 50001. This was not a port I normally use, so I did a quick nmap scan from one my VPS providers. Sure enough the port was showing open.
I was puzzled and quickly audited my firewall rules. Nothing pertaining to port 50001 stuck out at me. Nmap was showing that it was open so I tried to telnet to it and sure enough I could connect via telnet.
I decided to contact support and after they looked at my config files, they confirmed this was a bug in 12.4. They suggested we upgrade to 12.4.1 and it would fix the issue.
The 12.4.1 fireware did fix the issue.
A user running Windows 10 (1803) with Malwarebytes 3.7.1 Premium reported random events where the PC would freeze up. I was able to recreate the problem with network related task.
For example, I could cause it to freeze by printing PDFs from the end-user’s Outlook. The PC would freeze for about 10 minutes exactly and then resume normal operations.
I sent a u25x on site and the person acting as my eyes and hands used the USB 3.0 ports to hook up the keyboard and mouse.
For some reason this causes the box to not see the hardisk and it won’t boot. It first goes straight to trying to boot from PXE then it will give up and ask you to insert bootable media.
Plug the keyboard and mouse into the USB 2.0 ports (not the blue ones).
I wanted to download a list of files from an S3 bucket using python 3. I used a standard CSV in UTF-8 format. Here is an example CSV. It’s one column with just the filenames.
I could have built out the full url in the CSV, but I decided to just do it in the code. Below is the full python script.
#open import file
with open("c:\\csv\\files-to-download.csv", newline='', encoding='utf-8') as f:
#Assign the import file to the DictReader "reader"
reader = csv.DictReader(f)
#Now loop through all rows and build out variables
for row in reader:
filename = row['name']
print('Beginning file download with wget module')
url = 'http://www.example.com/images/'
wget.download(url + filename, 'c:\\csv\\images\\' + filename)
RemoteApp Problems – Windows Not Showing:
We deployed a new RDS server this week with Sage 100 2017 published as a RemoteApp. One of our remote sites called in and said it was taking an unusual amount of time for the windows to open. I remoted into their machine and walked through some normal operations of creating a sales order. The window to select a customer account seemed to be taking a long time to appear, but when I hovered over the icon in the taskbar it was showing the new window was already running. If you click on the area where the new window was supposed to be it would appear. The windows of the RemoteApp were not drawing to the screen. To the user, the window wasn’t appearing at all, but when the user got frustrated they would start clicking randomly and the window would finally appear.
Moving Azure AD Connect From Windows Server 2012 to 2016
Last week I stood up a new Windows Server 2016 domain controller as we prepared to decommission the older ones. One task I needed to complete was to migrate our Azure AD Connect software. I followed Paul Cunningham guide Migrating Azure AD Connect to a New Server. Everything went well and we did our testing to make sure that everything was pushing out to o365 and it was. The o365 admin portal was showing our new DC id under the ADD Connect Status. I thought all was well.
I ran into this problem earlier this week when our remote sites called in stating they couldn’t connect. We are running some windows server 2012 servers and we have published remote apps as well as full-blown remote sessions for our remote locations and mobile users. This affected windows 7, 8, and 10 clients.
When trying to connect to a windows server 2012 via RDP we received this error message:
An Authentication error has occurred.
The function requested is not supported.
This could be due to CredSSP encryption oracle remediation